Saturday, May 26, 2012

John Carter Doesn't Suck So Much

Ok, so I had heard about this Disney movie, "John Carter of Mars". I'd heard that it was the worst box office disaster that Disney had suffered in a long time. I had heard that the movie pretty much sucked. I had heard that it was the worst example of cinema in quite some time.

Well, ok...it does have a horrible movie poster
But truly, the poster is where the suckage ends. I just watched this movie and I have to say, I was terribly impressed. Granted, I went into it with incredibly low expectations based on what I had heard about it. But John Carter, it's pretty decent piece of movie making.

Now, a lot of it is CGI, I mean, it takes place on Mars...it would have to be. But the premise of the plot and the way the story unfolds, I found it almost a perfect piece of story telling. The Hubby is a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings saga, which I could never get behind. But, I realize what a great piece of story telling it is. Now, I would never compare John Carter to the tale that is Lord of the Rings...but it's scope and depth are pretty darn close.

The film weaves and tangles a basic plot...a man from earth is transported to Mars, and combines it with all of the intricate power struggles taking place on that planet. All the while it manages not to be too terribly trite. I mean, yes...his super power is that he can jump really far on Mars because of the lower gravity. Once you get over how funny that is and realize that it sort of makes sense, the move is a delight.

So, if you haven't seen John Carter of Mars, I highly recommend it. Not only is the film a great 2 hours of escapist entertainment...the score is absolutely wonderful. It's the closest I've come to the feeling of a classic John William's movie score since E.T. the Extraterrestrial.

Rent it, download it, stream it, NetFlix it!

No comments:

Post a Comment