Sunday, May 6, 2012

Eggy Bake

I am currently embarking on the Low Carb Lifestyle. Quite simply...I've gotten FAT! I am not going as far as to head back onto The Atkin's Diet. I found that rather extreme. Basically, I cut out processed sugar, refined flour, and other nasty carbs. To that end I am now making my Eggy Bake to have for Breakfast every day.

Breakfast combined!
The Eggy Bake is very versatile. You can throw whatever you want into the eggs, whatever floats your boat or is hanging around the fridge. Here is the base recipe...

Eggy Bake

          1 Dozen Eggs (You can substitute those cartoned egg product if you like)
          1/4 Cup Cream (I use Half & Half)
          Salt & Pepper to taste

At this point I pick my additives. In the one pictured above I chose:

          1lb Bacon (Fried crisp)
          6oz Italian Sausage (Crumbled)
          1can Diced Tomatos
          1can Sliced Mushrooms
          1handfull Fresh Spinach (sliced)
          Parmesan Cheese
          Sharp Cheddar Cheese

So what you do is line your baking pan with parchment paper. It makes it really easy to remove and then slice. Then you layer your additives into the pan. I started with the meats and then added the other items. I then sprinkled on about half of the cheese. You then mix up your egg mixture and whip the heck out of it. If you have a mixer, do it in that. The more air you can whip into the mixture the lighter and taller your bake will be. My arm still hurts from whisking mine. I did find a hint online that said you can add a quarter teaspoon of baking powder to the eggs to get them to puff up fluffier. I tried it and mine did fluff up big, but in the freezer they sunk again.

You then pour the egg mixture over the layered additives, top with the rest of the cheese and pop it in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. I under cooked mine by about 5 minutes only because I knew I would be freezing them and them nuking them in the microwave. Here is what it looks like coming out of the oven.

Pam that pan under the parchment...I am still trying to soak mine!
Once cool, I lifted it out of the pan by the parchment paper and cut it into 8 equal squares. I placed them in Zip-Loc bags and placed them in the freezer for later use during the week. It microwaves well. I go for about 2 minutes once it has thawed. Otherwise it gets as hard as a brick.

One note I do have. I used bacon in mine which I had fried very crisp. Unfortunately, once baked and nuked the bacon winds up kind of limp.

So give it a try! Let me know in the comments what you added.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to give that a try...love that it freezes! You may want to look at this site:
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/ I used it for the brief period I did Atkins...now I get the ideas from there and do Weight Watcher friendly ones!

    ReplyDelete