Monday, September 5, 2011

The German Is Here!

The Hubby and I picked her up on Saturday from the airport. On the way home we stopped at one of the many farmer's markets along the route and bought fresh veggies and fruits. One she was settled in, the cooking commenced. I'm not sure how my body is going to handle all this fresh food and real cooking. The microwave hasn't been used once since she got here.

Saturday evening I baked a pork loin and The German Host Mom made a delicious salad of tomatoes and fresh mozzerella. Kevin even picked some fresh basil for it. Fresh green beans were cooked and then sautéed with vinegar, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It was all delicious.

Sunday morning The Hubby and The German Host Mom went to church. While they were away I enjoyed a little alone time and reheated some of the pork…again, very yummy. They arrived back from church, and a stop at the grocery store to announce that it was lunch time. The German Host Mom made a delicious salad, we reheated more of the pork and she had bought fresh strawberries which she topped with real whipped cream(She whipped it herself!) and almonds. Sunday afternoon she baked a cheese cake. It was an event and half attempting to convert the metric system to my backware. But it turned out spectacularly. I have had one piece with strawberry preserves and one piece with lemon curd. YUMMY

By Sunday night I had to make a batch of Ramen Noodles and Spray Cheese just to remind my body that I hadn't given up processed food. They snacked on leftovers.

Today, I awoke…ok, well after lunch time. But just in time for lunch. It consisted of a Carrot Salad. Corn on the Cob and ravioli. This woman can cook! I'm just getting a taste of what The Hubby enjoys when he travels over to Munich to visit. I just may have to make the trip sometime. (I know! GASP!!!)

Tomorrow (Tuesday), they are off on their great Northern Trek to State College, PA to visit The Hubby's family and then Buffalo, NY and Niagara Falls. So, I will be without the great cooking for a while and converting to a strict NO CARBS diet. I also head to Texas on Saturday for work, returning on the 15th in time to have 2 more days of great cooking before The German Host Mom leaves town.

The language barrier hasn't been too terribly bad. That was my chief worry. We have been teaching each other words. She teaches me the german version and I teach her the english version. There doesn't seem to be a german word for "Undie Night" tho…it did create quite a bit of laughter! Not that I'm going to retain any of this (except for das hund, because it refers to the dog)…but it's been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment