Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Be Very Scared!

For those who aren't aware, I am hosting a party of celebrate Tod and Scott's 50th birthdays this coming weekend. I host parties all the time. That isn't the scary part. The frightening part is that I have decided to do all the baking.

I will be making the 3 cakes for the Friday night "Candles" party. I was shocked at how expensive it can be to get a cake made! I was also a little peeved that Food Lion wanted decorated cake prices for blank cakes that I would then decorate myself. That makes no sense, but I wasn't in the mood to argue with the Deli/Cake girl about it. It would have endangered my future meat slicing requests. So I'm doing it myself. I promise to measure all the ingredients…not my forte.

Sunday is the Afternoon Tea. I have also decided to fashion all of the baked goods for that party as well. I mean, how difficult can a scone be? Not very, based on the recipes I have downloaded. Butter cookies…child's play! I can get behind any cookie that requires a pound of butter.

I have to admit, I am the most excited about my Cucumber Sandwiches. I have an idea that is just "Off The Charts" amazing! There will also be little curried chicken salad sandwiches as well.

My only real worry is if my oven will survive?

It may look small, but it's very deep
Yes, in 7 years I have not installed a full size oven. I've never needed one. I found this little gem at Walmart and it fits a 13x9 pan so I don't really need anything larger. It also has convection cooking, so things get nice and brown and evenly cooked. Who knows, after all this baking I might be off to Walmart to get a replacement…or break down and have a full size oven installed. But I hope to prove that one can bake amazing things in what some might consider a less than amazing oven. Only time will tell.

Oh, and I will tell! I plan to document all of the baking adventures right here on the blog. All of you are in this with me. Whether you like it or not!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to taste one of those treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie from Fire PitJuly 10, 2011 at 4:41 PM

    The good news is that you can make some more scones and cucumber sandwiches and cookies for Fire Pit since you're really good at all that by now. Great news, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did it go???????????

    ReplyDelete